Testosterone is a hormone that is produced primarily in the testicles. It is responsible for the development of male sexual characteristics, such as facial hair and a deep voice. Different types of testosterone also play a role in bone and muscle growth, sex drive, and sperm production.
Although testosterone is often thought of as a “male” hormone, it is present in both men and women. In men, testosterone levels usually peak in the early 20s. After that, they gradually decline with age. In women, testosterone levels peak in the mid-20s and then decline.
What are the different types of testosterone?
Testosterone is available in many forms, including creams, gels, patches, and injections. It can also be taken by mouth. Most testosterone products should not be used by children or women unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
The different types of testosterone include
1. Testosterone cypionate: This form of testosterone is injected into the muscles every two to four weeks. Males with low testosterone levels are frequently treated with it.
2. Testosterone enanthate: This form of testosterone is injected into the muscles every two to four weeks. It’s commonly used to treat low testosterone levels in men.
3. Testosterone pellet implants: These are pellets that are inserted under the skin every three to six months. They release small amounts of testosterone into the body over time.
4. Testosterone undecanoate injection: This form of testosterone is injected into the muscles every 10 to 14 days. It’s commonly used to treat low testosterone levels in men who can’t use other forms of testosterone due to side effects or allergies.
5. Topical forms (gels, creams, solutions, patches): These forms are applied to the skin daily or weekly, depending on the product instructions. They’re commonly used to treat hypogonadism in men who can’t use other forms of testosterone due to side effects or allergies.
Benefits of having optimal testosterone levels
There are many potential benefits associated with having optimal testosterone levels, such as
- Improved bone density
- Increased muscle mass
- Improved sex drive
- Increased fertility
- Improved mood
How to increase your testosterone levels naturally
Luckily, there are things you can do to increase your levels naturally!
Try these tips:
- Get enough sleep: Most people need around eight hours per night
- Eat healthy fats: Include plenty of fatty fish, olive oil, nuts, and seeds in your diet
- Exercise regularly: Shoot for at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity cardio or 75 minutes per week of high-intensity cardio
- Lift weights: Strength training can help increase muscle mass and indirectly promote higher levels of testosterone
- Reduce stress: Chronic stress can lead to lower levels of testosterone
Low or high testosterone levels can have a big impact on your health overall, so it’s important to know where you fall on that spectrum and how you can return to optimal levels if needed!
If you think you may have low T consider trying some natural remedies. If lifestyle changes don’t improve your symptoms, see your doctor. They may want to give you supplement hormone therapy.